Simply what’s a therapeutic massage gun, and why are they so standard proper now?
Therapeutic massage weapons are handheld, battery-operated gadgets which can be made to vibrate or therapeutic massage your muscle groups to assist calm down them and take away ache. They normally have totally different attachment heads that can assist you attain sure areas of the physique or to regulate your therapeutic massage expertise.
A therapeutic massage brings recent blood to the affected physique half, and that helps to do away with waste within the muscle groups. It additionally cuts down on painful muscle contractions.
In contrast with fundamental, cheaper therapeutic massage instruments like cheap shiatsu massagers you typically see on the market across the holidays, therapeutic massage weapons are capable of attain deeper ranges of the muscle groups.
You may use a therapeutic massage gun for a couple of totally different causes:
- For stress restoration. This may very well be day-to-day stress felt in your neck and shoulders based mostly in your physique positioning. Or, it may very well be for athletic restoration from heavy exercises which will trigger delayed onset muscle soreness, says Daniel DeLucchi, chiropractor and co-owner of Tuttle DeLucchi Chiropractic Seattle in Seattle.
- For tight muscle groups.
- To cut back the necessity for in-person therapeutic massage therapies.
- To extend blood circulate in particular areas of the physique, which is useful as a result of good blood circulation helps to do away with waste within the muscle groups.
- If in case you have restricted mobility or steadiness or in the event you’re publish surgical procedure, as therapeutic massage weapons are simple to carry in your hand with out shifting round lots, says Heather Jeffcoat, a bodily therapist and proprietor of Femina Bodily Remedy within the Los Angeles space.
You may select to make use of a therapeutic massage gun along with or rather than a foam curler, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (or TENS unit) or a therapeutic massage therapist. “In the event you use these different therapies extra typically, you may simply add a therapeutic massage gun into your rotation of restoration instruments,” DeLucchi says.
The right way to Select a Therapeutic massage Gun
As a result of therapeutic massage weapons are dearer than the essential therapeutic massage gadgets you see at retail shops – higher-end fashions can run upwards of $300 – you’ll need to select one rigorously. Listed below are a couple of inquiries to ask your self to assist select the very best therapeutic massage gun for you.
- How typically will you utilize it? In the event you see your self utilizing it a couple of occasions per week, then it’s possible you’ll really feel OK shopping for a pricier mannequin. If it’s occasional use, a cheaper mannequin may very well be a greater approach to dip your toe into the waters of therapeutic massage weapons.
- Will you journey with it? In that case, you most likely need a smaller mannequin so it is simpler to hold, says Lauren Lobert Frison, a bodily therapist and proprietor of APEX Bodily Remedy in Brighton, Michigan.
- How loud is it? A few of them may be noisy, Lobert Frison says. The upper-priced fashions are typically quieter, says Brandon Trachman, a bodily therapist at PT Central in Oklahoma Metropolis, Oklahoma.
- How a lot does it weigh? You need to maintain the therapeutic massage gun to make use of it. “If in case you have restricted grip energy or fatigue simply, lighter can be higher for you,” Jeffcoat says.
- What sort of therapeutic massage stress do you want? Some are recognized for extra aggressive stress, which is probably not an excellent match in the event you like lighter stress, Frison says.
- What’s the battery life on a single cost? You will discover a vary from 20 to 40 minutes to 2 or extra hours, normally relying on value.
- What number of velocity settings does it have? Ideally, it’ll have at the very least three settings so you may differ the expertise based mostly on what you want.
- Are you in search of tech-based steering on tips on how to use your therapeutic massage gun? A few of the higher-priced fashions have Bluetooth-connected apps that embrace movies on tips on how to use the therapeutic massage gun and supply custom-recommended warm-up and restoration routines.
The 5 Finest Therapeutic massage Weapons in 2021-2022
- Hypervolt 2 by Hyperice ($279 to $299 on Amazon). This versatile mannequin is light-weight (1.8 kilos) and has three hours of battery life. It contains three speeds and 5 attachment heads, plus it’s an excellent dimension for journey. One potential disadvantage: Its bigger handgrip could also be tougher for smaller palms to carry, DeLucchi says.
- Theragun Prime by Therabody ($299 on Amazon). The Prime mannequin has 5 speeds, 5 attachments, and two hours of battery life. It weighs 2.2 kilos.
- Hypervolt Go by Hyperice ($179 to $199 on Amazon). One benefit with the Go mannequin is its gentle weight – only one.5 kilos. The burden distribution makes it simple to make use of for sufferers with continual ache, Jeffcoat says. It comes with two attachments. It’s not as highly effective as pricier fashions however is simply sufficient for many of her sufferers.
- Renpho R3 Therapeutic massage Gun by Renpho ($99 on Amazon). This extra reasonably priced mannequin has 5 attachments, 5 speeds and weighs 1.5 kilos. One Amazon reviewer wrote, “My legs had been aching from an intense exercise so I used the gun on solely my left leg to see what distinction it made. Immediately the muscle groups felt much less tight as if I hadn’t exercised.”
Fusion FX Heated Heated Percussion Therapeutic massage Gun by LifePro ($229 on Amazon). A novel function of the Fusion FX is that it supplies heated therapeutic massage for further aid to sore muscle groups. It comes with 5 speeds, 5 attachments and three “bonus” modes to alter up the therapeutic massage method. It weighs 2.16 kilos.
The right way to Get the Most Out of a Therapeutic massage Gun
As soon as you discover the suitable therapeutic massage gun, hold the following pointers in thoughts so you may get probably the most out of utilizing it:
- Attempt to calm down the muscle you’re focusing on upfront. If the muscle isn’t already considerably relaxed, then it’s onerous for the therapeutic massage gun to offer additional aid. One suggestion from DeLucchi: Maintain the message gun within the reverse hand of no matter physique half you’re engaged on. So, if you wish to apply it to your left shoulder, maintain the therapeutic massage gun in your proper hand so that you’re not tensing the muscle groups in your left shoulder.
- Have a associate assist out if accessible. There’ll at all times be some components of your physique which can be onerous to achieve by yourself. Ask somebody to make use of the therapeutic massage gun in these sorts of areas to assist out.
- Count on some muscle soreness however not ache, Trachman says. Again off and use the gun elsewhere or take a break in the event you expertise ache. If the ache after utilizing a therapeutic massage gun lasts greater than two to 3 days, see a health care provider or bodily therapist for assist.
- Begin sluggish and work your means up as tolerated in case your therapeutic massage gun has totally different velocity settings.
- Speak to your physician first in the event you use prescription blood thinners, have areas of impaired sensation or suspected blood clots. Usually, therapeutic massage weapons shouldn’t be used for individuals in these teams, Trachman says.
- Don’t use the gun on bony components of the physique or damaged pores and skin. This might trigger pores and skin injury.
- Don’t overdo it. Much less is unquestionably extra, DeLucchi says. Two to 3 minutes per muscle group is simpler than a 30-minute session, he explains.
- Proceed to make use of multiple approach to relieve sore muscle groups. You’ll get higher outcomes by sticking with a spread of choices, together with ice and warmth packs, foam rollers and comparable sort therapies.
- Mix therapeutic massage gun use with stretching that’s acceptable to your goal muscle space. Trachman’s apply will typically mix therapeutic massage gun use with energetic stretching and different types of hands-on remedy.
- Use it. Which will appear apparent, however Lobert Frison has noticed many individuals shopping for gadgets with out ever utilizing them. Discover a time and place the place you may calm down whereas utilizing it.